The Escalante Water District is a creation of PD 198 otherwise known as the “Provincial Water Utility Act of 1973”.
The existing water system of then Municipal Government of Escalante was turned-over to EWD by virtue of a Municipal Council Resolution in 1981. The Langahag water spring was the only source of water supply for Escalante, particularly Brgy. Balintawak, the main service area of the District. The services was a bit impoverished due to a dilapidated water system facilities of 1939 vintage.